Sean Holroyd, Ph.D.
Location: WCM Qatar
Dr. Sean Holroyd joined Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar (WCM-Q) in January of 2017. Prior to coming to WCM-Q he served as a Lecturer of Physiology at James Cook University, where he was course director for physiology for 2nd Year biomedical science students and Year 2 coordinator for Veterinary Science. Dr. Holroyd has extensive teaching experience having taught organ systems physiology to medical, veterinary, pharmacy, nursing and biomedical science students at a number of institutions. Throughout his career he has received multiple teaching awards from James Cook University, St George’s University and the Australian College of Educators. Dr. Holroyd has held administrative leadership positions including Deputy Head of the Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, Associate Dean of Students at St George’s University, and course director of a wide span of courses both undergraduate and postgraduate. He has been actively involved in leading curriculum development at a number of institutions where he has developed course, degree and integrated curricula. Dr. Holroyd received his Ph.D. in Physiology from Monash University in the field of muscle energetics. His research interests remain in this area with the emphasis on the mechanisms of airway smooth muscle response during exercise-induced asthma.
- Woolf PJ, Lu S, Cornford-Nairn R, Watson M, Xiao XH, Holroyd SM, Brown L, Hoey AJ. Alterations in dihydropyridine receptors in dystrophin-deficient cardiac muscle. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006 Jun;290(6):H2439-45. Epub 2006 Jan 13. PubMed PMID: 16415078.
- Kotsanas G, Holroyd SM, Young R, Gibbs CL. Mechanisms contributing to pulsus alternans in pressure-overload cardiac hypertrophy. Am J Physiol. 1996 Dec;271(6 Pt 2):H2490-500. PubMed PMID: 8997309.
- Holroyd SM, Gibbs CL, Luff AR. Shortening heat in slow- and fast-twitch muscles of the rat. Am J Physiol. 1996 Jan;270(1 Pt 1):C293-7. PubMed PMID: 8772456.
- Kotsanas G, Holroyd SM, Wendt IR, Gibbs CL. Intracellular Ca2+, force and activation heat in rabbit papillary muscle: effects of 2,3-butanedione monoxime. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1993 Nov;25(11):1349-58. PubMed PMID: 8301668.
- Holroyd SM, Gibbs CL. The energetics of shortening amphibian cardiac muscle. Pflugers Arch. 1993 Jun;424(1):84-90. PubMed PMID: 8351207.
- Holroyd SM, Gibbs CL. Is there a shortening-heat component in mammalian cardiac muscle contraction? Am J Physiol. 1992 Jan;262(1 Pt 2):H200-8. PubMed PMID: 1733310.
- Holroyd SM, Gibbs CL, Wendt IR. The effect of increasing extracellular potassium concentration on the resting heart rate of the isolated rat papillary muscle. Pflugers Arch. 1990 Jun;416(4):406-12. PubMed PMID: 2399114.